Tuesday 22 May 2012

Memoir "44" game 2

For my second game of Memoir 44 we swapped sides, myself taking the side of the allies against the german forces. We played this game in almost half the time of the other one so apologies for some of the bad photos but we were playing quikly. I had three units of 4 infantry, two divisions of 3 tanks and one battery of 2 artillery pieces.

I started off with my Infantry and Tanks in the centre rushing the German panzers and grenadiers that had made their way onto the ridge. We forced both back into a retreat and gave the greandiers 25% casualties!

It seemed fairly evenly matched so far with myself losing one unit but also destroying the grenadiers in the centre. However the Germans were worse off having taken more casualties than us and with the river in the centre open and exposed to our forces on the ridge it seemed as though we could spearhead right down the centre and split their forces apart.

 It was still completly even points as the game went on, we had lost the left flank village to the panzers and our men in the centre had been slaughtered between the two ridges by tank fire. However on the right we had one panzer surrounded by infanrty and in the centre the last grenadier was left exposed to our tanks on the ridge with another two germans and a panzer tank in a perfect position to fire down upon.

But in the end it was another allied victory! We had dispatched three grenadier units, two infantry and a panzer division and we still had fire to dish out from all our tanks on the ridge to the last panzer in the centre and two lne infantry in the low ground. We were in a strong position with the right secured, the centre practically ours and the left holding out well enough, though a couple more rounds and it would have been lost.

For myself (speaking as a less than enthusiastic WW2 wargamer) I do have to say it is a great game. It is much more about tactics with much less chance (there is still the element of chance with the dice, but it seems far more like the chance you would have in a real fire fight and much more predictable). I would be very interested in converting it into other periods WW1 trench warfare may be quite interesting with it and I'm sure the "shieldwall-king arthur" period would work well, I can just imagine it being perfect for Hastings...

Next time I am hosting my game, Accident in Baro gorge, for the first time ever (At least with 24 tirailleurs and 120 abyssinians to paint I may have to put it off but I hope not.)

No comments:

Post a Comment