Sunday 4 March 2012

War in Wattonford: Battle of Thunderfoot Valley

This is the next part in War in Wattonford, an instore campaign at my local games workshop, this time at 1K. Unfortunatly owing to the fact the manager was no where to be found the staff would not let me take photos incase I stole someone's identity and sent an assassin after them. So for this game I have included photos of the armies from other games.

It was our first 1000pt game, and I was pitting my army which was not doing to badly against the Ogre kingdoms army that was winning the campaign (I believe they were around 4000pts ahead of me).

Both forces were as follows

Bruiser Goliath's Warband
Bruiser
Fire belly
10 Ogre bulls
4 Mourn fang cavalry
Ironblaster

Valmir Aeslings' Champions
Hero on Juggernaut
5 horsemen
5 horsemen
5 horsemen
5 knights
Giant

Before I had my game I had just seen the ogre army come and stomp over three other armies with the two mournfangs dealing almost singlehandedly with the entire orc army and with the Bulls and Bruiser wiping out an entire chaos army, then both parts of the force came together trapping the skinks and lizardmen behind a building and crushing them all.

(Minus the Skaven and Daemons and plus 2 more mourn fangs and a firebelly this is the Ogre kingdoms army)

The battle started with his entire force moving towards my knights who were positioned on the far left of the table while my horsemen made their along a pass behind a building on the far right of the table, an obvious flanking action. My giant in the mean time stood behind the horsemen as a rear guard.

In turn one his Ironblaster opened fire on my Juggernaut, wounding the rider. Then in the next turn I charged my knights and Juggernaut into combat with the Ironblaster. In the combat the Ironblaster was reduced to two wounds, however it's Rhinox managed to dispatch my General.
In the next turn his Bulls charged into my knights with his Bruiser smashing the head off my knight champion. The Knights then fled and were run down by the cannon.
By now he had also manouvered his cavalry to face mine, as well as sending his fire belly to snipe fireballs at my Giant. However the spells were all dspelled and the fire belly soon found himself in combat with the giant, who decided to have a good yell at him, but was wounded three times even though the fire belly lost the combat.
But my marauder horse were not quite so lucky. Normally I would flee from the charge of so mighty a foe as mourn fang cavalry, but in the close confines of the area they were situated in I could see that one unit fleeing could well cause an un rally able route, so they took it like men, even though the impact was enough to kill them all twice over.
In the next turn the Iron blaster also charged my giant, hoping to kill it through impact hits, but it rolled one short and the giant lived. Also the giant the took a mighty chomp out of the Ironblaster, destroying it and putting him on two wounds instead of five. Seeing his companion fall the fire belly ran, but was sweeped up by the giant and hurled over his shoulder.
But now only five of my horsemen had escaped and as the game drew to an end we declared an ogre victory. The bulls could well of seen of the giant and the horsemen could have just kept on running till death.
A sad first outing for my WCs, but the Giant proved its worth doing more damage then the entire might of the three other armies that had faced the ogres before.

No comments:

Post a Comment