Sunday 5 February 2012

War in Wattonford campaign: 1st battle of Wattonford

This was the opening game of the Campaign (war in wattonford), which was run by the local Games workshop. It was a multi player game played between ten armies (all for all, three warriors of chaos (including me), dark elfs, vampire counts, wood elfs, tomb kings, empire (the only army with a horde and it had two!) and two lizardmen forces), however the two table each had a 1000pt objective in the centre (could only be claimed by your army general) and the two tables had a 10" join with five forces on each table (no one crossed the join so we played like two seperate games). It was 750pts aside using the warhammer multi-player rules.
On my table was

Slaanesh's chosen (me)
Exalted hero
10 marauder horse
5 knights
warshrine
Nurgle's followers
Exalted hero
12 warriors
5 knights
The Sartossan counts
1 vampire
1 necromancer
20 zombies
20 skeletons
10 dire wolves
5 black knights
Kotem's warband
1 saurus old blood
10 temple guard
24 skinks
12 skinks
12 skinks
The young bloods of Naggarond
1 assassin
5 cold one knights
10 black ark corsairs

Fantasy mlti player rules uses the lord of the rings phase structure to prevent armies getting wiped out early on. Turn one went well for me as I practically got my Marauder horse ontop of the objective. The black knights had, in their move, charged straight for my lines, leaving their flanks open and exposed to the cold one knights. The cold one knights and assassin then flank charged the black knights and the corsairs went belting across my lines, leaving their flank open to a charge from my frenzied chaos knights.

In the combat things went very well. the black knights were all slain and the cold one knights  flank charged my marauder horse, but my knights made mince meat of the corsairs sending the remaining two fleeing. Then the knights overran into the rear of the cold one knights.

 Soon everyone was advancing on the objective, with the dire wolves and knights clashing in over on th other side (this went as expected with the dire wolves torn limb from limb.)

In the combat (this was only the second turn remember) my warshrine stomped the assassin dead on the floor and my  Knights slaughtered the cold one knights, meaning that i had single handedly wiped out the dark elf force by turn two!

Turn three had to be the decisive turn however as the temple guard and skinks flank charged my marauder horse and the zombies (previouse turn the vampire had rolled iresistable force and lost his magical ability) charged my knights (not the wisest move). I reacted with a counter charge on the temple guard with Marshal Lenk, who challenged old blood Kotem to a duel. The pair duelled and with one (higher initiative strength eight) killing blow Lenk took his head off. Since the nurgle knights had killed the sartosssan general this menat that victory had to go to chaos, but who....
My knights didn't do as well as i'd hoped and only killed around 16 zombies, and to cap it all my marauder horse were wiped out, lenk failed his LD and was run down by skinks. This meant almost certain victory to Nurgle, unless we could kill his champion!

But the old saying "divided we fall, and nurgle wins" springs to mind. The lizardmen proceeded to butcher all of my knights (save the champion), whilst failing to kill the nurgle champion. I feel that for a victory in turn four there is something to be said for chaos, and a victory in these conditions there is something to be said for holding your general back.
Doubhtless to say Nurgle won by process of elimination, but with the entire dark elf army to my name, plus to killing of Kotem old blood to Marshal lenk's I feel certain of honour.

No comments:

Post a Comment